Monday 23 September 2013

A Tolkien Blog Party of Special Magnificence

So it's not just a Celebrate Musicals Week now – it's also a Tolkien Blog Party Week, hosted at The Edge of the Precipice! It's going to be a busy week with both of these parties going on, but it's sure to be a lot of fun too. And I was quite embarrassed to notice that the 22nd was in fact a Sunday, not a Monday like I thought, so that's why I'm late for this. So typical of me. But let's get on with the Tolkien celebration now and answer these questions by Hamlette! Late happy birthday to Bilbo and Frodo!





1.  Have you read The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit? If so, how many times?

Of course, both! How many times, though? I remember reading The Lord of the Rings three times in Finnish before I switched into the English version, and in the last couple of years I've had the habit of reading it every summer. The same goes with The Hobbit. 

2.  Have you seen any movies based on them?

I've seen all the Jackson movies made so far (including the first part of The Hobbit) and even the Ralph Bakshi animated version which was a rather interesting experience.
3.  Who first introduced you to Middle Earth?

Nobody really – I just got interested in the books after hearing everyone talk about them, and the Jackson movies (all three of which had come out by then but which I hadn't seen).


4.  Who are your three favorite characters?  (Feel free to elaborate on whys.)

Bilbo is my absolute favourite of them all. Do I really have to tell you why he's so awesome? I just relate so much to his desire to see the wider world, and how he just doesn't care that everyone in Hobbiton thinks he's nuts!

Aragorn has got to be the second favourite. His first appearance is one of my most-anticipated moments in the book as well as the film Fellowship of the Ring.

I like Éowyn in the books, especially after the battle of Minas Tirith, but not in the movies unfortunately – Miranda Otto's Éowyn cries too much!


5.  What's your favorite Middle Earth location?

King Thranduil's court in Mirkwood.


6.  If you could belong to one of the races of Free Folk (Men, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Ents), which would you choose?

This is going to be such a predictable answer but I'd pick Elves. They speak beautiful languages and I like all their locations, such as Rivendell and Mirkwood. They ride their horses bareback which I like to do as well.


7.  Would you rather eat lembas or taters?

I'm not big on eating bread but lembas isn't just any bread... So I'd pick that.


8.  If you lived in Middle Earth, what weapon would you prefer wielding?

I think it would be better if I didn't use any weapon at all, I have such a terrible aim! I could borrow the hobbits' idea and use a frying pan.


9.  What draws you to Tolkien's stories?  (The characters, the quests, the themes, the worlds, etc.)

I can read The Lord of the Rings again and again because it's such a huge story that I find something new to think about each time. I just love how detailed and complete Middle-Earth is.


10. List up to five of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” 

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” 

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 

“And now leave me in peace for a bit! I don't want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want to think!"
"Good Heavens!" said Pippin. "At breakfast?” 

"Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring."
"Great! Where are we going?"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining the party! And you're not really late -- the party runs all week, so people can join in at any time.

    For several years running, I started re-reading Lord of the Rings every January. Then I had kids, and this week I'll be beginning my first read-through in several years. I'm actually doing a read-along on my blog, so if you feel like re-reading it and discussing it with others, please join us!

    Finally, I'm very amused by your choice of weapon! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Miranda Otto comment made me laugh out loud. I love Eowyn in the book but I've never really liked her in the films. She's too whiny and, in my opinion, Miranda Otto isn't beautiful enough for the role. Your quote from Pippin made me laugh as well. And now you've pointed out why Bilbo is so awesome I'm beginning to think I made a mistake in not putting him in "My Three Favourite Characters" list

    ReplyDelete